Accéder au contenu principal

Be Systemic Analyst be UX Designer




Today I just want speak about "Context"... about "Systemic analysis"

The Story

When I drive my car I have the same car to do different type of trips. When I am in the city, currently I drive slow (Trust me), when I am in the highway I drive fast (not too fast)…when I am alone I listen to rock&roll, when I am with my family we speak without music…nevertheless it is the same car


The same tool has got the same goal and can have subtle differences during its use.

In #softwaredesign it is the same thing, you can have the same feature with subtle different uses depend of the page you come from or the parameters you have already given.

#UX Designer is like a detective who is able to see invisible cues in order to identify those subtle different use…you have to listen to behavior…you have to see the invisible…you have to touch the untouchable…you want to create interface so perfect that the user forgets it…

You have to analyse the tools in environments for users you have to conduct a Systems analysis

The Problem

Today, I used the “message” feature of @Linkedin…ok not only today…

I want to write with one of my contact, so I search him in my contacts page ok…done ! check pointI tap on the thumbnail photo of those contact ok…done ! check pointAnd I have a BIG button “Message” a #CTA (Call To Action) !! Wonderfull @Linkedin helps me to write to my contacts…so Action !!…I tap on “Message” and @Linkedin opens the messages page with the name of my contact awesome..


Linked Contact Detail Page & CTA
Linked Contact Detail Page & CTA 

So I begin to write…

hmmmmm… ????

When I write it displays me other contact hmmm???

But I have already choose my contact…



Linkedin first time message for a contact
Linkedin first time message for a contact

Ok no matter I finish my message…and…”send” !!!

Linkedin first time message for a contact sent
Linkedin first time message for a contact sent







Hmm Hmmm??? Grrrrr !!!!

The message has been deleted and now I am in another area…grrr !!!!

My point of view 

The topic is the same with my car…I can’t study my car only in its all detached from all environment, detached from all context, detached from all uses… a car is used in several environments, in several context, with different type of users…For a feature it is the same thing !! Think #Personna, Think #Userflow, Think #UserJourneyMap…ok lots of Hashtag for further post JSo, When the user arrives on the “message page” he/she can arrive from different pages, with different context, and different profil, here the contexts can be:

  • Case 1 : The user arrives from the “Message” button on a contact detail page for the FIRST Time (It is my case in this post !!)
  • Case 2 : The user arrives from the “Message” button on a contact detail page after the first time
  • Case 3 : The user arrives from the Message tab menu

In the case 1, @Linkedin, today let the cursor in “Contact” area to let the users adding new contact. I repeat, the user clic on the “Message button” displays on the detail page of a contact, so we can be 99% sure he/she wants to write to this contact, perhaps, he/she wants to add another contact…perhaps…I don’t want to say that user never wants to add contact in their message. Nevertheless is it a #RedAxe at this moment of the story ? Probably 99% of people just want to write their message only to the current contact like they type an SMS…So @Linkedin, why you let the cursor in the contact area, and ask your users to systematically tap on “Type a Message” area before typing their message.Don’t forget if you ask a user to do 99% of the time a action when they just arrive on a screen like changing the focus of the interactive objet, answering a question in a pop-up, resizing a window, closing a pop-up, probably surely you have forgotten something during the analysis step of the feature…

My proposal 


Your job as #UXDesigner is to create positive emotion during the use of a product or a service, and so strange it can appear, it is by reducing interaction with you tool you will have a better #UXDesign.I want to add that, in this case, another issue of my misunderstanding is the lack of visual indicator like #Affordance to help the user to know where he/she is and what can he/she does here. With a good use of #MaterialDesign you can help your user to understand he is not in the good place.




Don’t forget 

It is by making forget your interface 
that 
your users remember it.

Pierre Lebailly - UX Designer


Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

User Interface is not a "Where is Charlie ?" game

Psst... what is the performance of your sight... because for some #UI you need to have 12/10 for each eye !! The Story Yesterday I was with my wife on @Google #Gmail tool, a power tool and she asked me to help her to find some old mails... "no problem I thought I'm a Geek !!" I said yes no problem you just have to type the words of your search here... And she said to me ..."ho yes I know that...nonetheless... I want to specify the sender and the date..." Aouch !! After around 15 years using Google Gmail, my wife, a none Geek lady (I am not sure after several years with me she is not infected...) made me discovered a new feature in Gmail !!...the Advanced Gmail Form Search The Problem The problem is simple... First when you begin to type a word, there is a auto-completion  which is a #GoodUI no thing to say... And this auto-complete automatically deploys the list of possible values...which is good again... And you didn&

Be emotional, Human are emotional, UX must be emotional

Today I just want speak about "Emotion" The Story I arrive on one of my favorite #SocialNetwork @LinkedIn and I was really surprised to have a so #BadUx because of a lack of emotion.. First I arrive on my screen with no more post... Where are the posts The Problem The problem is we make a lot of interface just as Digital Tool. We often forgot the smartphone, this digital tool is like a friend. It is... excuse me, HE is in our house, He is in our bag, He is in our pocket and we have it in our hands more than 180 min a day !! This friend has got a lot of part of our private life... He has got our emails, our meeting, and even our photos and videos. We can read on the web that around 60% of people have got an emotional relationship with their smartphone...and it was the figures two years ago.. It just remembers us, were are not machin we are emotional hight tech natural product.. My point of view   Use Cognitive Bias with your app in ord