Accéder au contenu principal

Idea #4 Users are not William Tell, Fitts can helps you

Wiliam Tell
Dear all,

Users are not William Tell with their mouse or their fingers.

I am sure users are very talented and they do a lot of things. Nonetheless #UX designers can help them to use app with effortless.

Today I want to speak about #Fitts Law
Have a look of this beautiful formula.
Fitts Law Mathematic Expression
I don't want to speak about the mathematic expression of Fitts law,
with :
T for the time required to complete the movement
and b coefficients which are determined empirically....hmmmmm
the distance between the starting point of the mouvement and the target...what is the unit ?
- and W the with of the target object...

ok...you and myself are not mathematician professor...and even it is in our world to transform anything in mathematical langage, don't forget and Larry to your senses.
And between you and me sometime it is difficult to determine a and b factors. Personally I never defined them and I don't really know how to do.
If we try to say the thing with simple words :

The mouvement of the mouse on a computer or finger on a tablet and smartphone, is very fast outside the target, and your are near the target more the mouvement is slow, and harder it is for user because it needs more and more precision and concentration.

it could be :

More the target is big and cclose from the start point more it is easy for user to accomplish its task.

Fitts law in arrow word

Imagine just a moment you are an archer...hmmmm you user are archer...and their target is this...
First target only for William Tell
Oh yes, sure the device is important, in this case, impossible to use finger, and with a mouse a nightmare...

We can help user by giving him a context, and environment with  something like this...
Second target for best archers

As you can see, we add context by putting little target in big target with contrast. Its helps the user to concentrate him self.

Sure if we do something like this...
Third target for all archers

now almost all archers reach the task, by enlarging the black target.

Sure not all the archers reach the center, but don't forget, Users are not William Tell, you don't want them to reach the center, you just want them they tape on a button like the black target.

The Story

Yesterday I used my mail app - @MyMail and I didn't understand why when I taped on "Object" nothing append...


I taped, taped, and taped again...and nothing...what a #BadUx

MyMail
And I ask myself why I ssucceedthe days before, what is the change ? Which error I done ?

Users don't have to ask themselves if they have made error...because Digital is slave for user, user never make error !

After a moment of thinking, and test I found !!! the touchable area is only the input area...

Input area target for William Tell
Ok, you can say me...ho ! the touchable zone is not so small you can do an effort...why not but in this case where is the visual difference between label background and input area tfor exemple. You remember #affordance.

And if you think it is old sschooland not beautiful to have lots of different backgrounds...don't forget the best #UI with the best graphical design can have the worst #UX.

My point of view 

Remember the "Third target" picture in this topic, you just have to enlarge target to be sure not only experts or William Tell can reach the target, here the input area.

So why not enlarge the touchable area, and if the user clicks on the label...hmm just put the cursor in the corresponding input area ... no ???


Input area target for all users

In my proposal, I enlarged the grey square to the new red one...and to understand the gain....I earn 22% of touchable area...


And you can easily apply this rule for radio button or checkboxes or others by just rendering touchable at least the label of the radio button, and why not the full line rather asking user to aim the radio button like William Tell done with the apple...

So Don’t forget 

Although they are talented users are not William Tell.

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

User Interface is not a "Where is Charlie ?" game

Psst... what is the performance of your sight... because for some #UI you need to have 12/10 for each eye !! The Story Yesterday I was with my wife on @Google #Gmail tool, a power tool and she asked me to help her to find some old mails... "no problem I thought I'm a Geek !!" I said yes no problem you just have to type the words of your search here... And she said to me ..."ho yes I know that...nonetheless... I want to specify the sender and the date..." Aouch !! After around 15 years using Google Gmail, my wife, a none Geek lady (I am not sure after several years with me she is not infected...) made me discovered a new feature in Gmail !!...the Advanced Gmail Form Search The Problem The problem is simple... First when you begin to type a word, there is a auto-completion  which is a #GoodUI no thing to say... And this auto-complete automatically deploys the list of possible values...which is good again... And you didn&

Be Systemic Analyst be UX Designer

Today I just want speak about "Context"... about "Systemic analysis" The Story When I drive my car I have the same car to do different type of trips. When I am in the city, currently I drive slow (Trust me), when I am in the highway I drive fast (not too fast)…when I am alone I listen to rock&roll, when I am with my family we speak without music…nevertheless it is the same car … The same tool has got the same goal and can have subtle differences during its use. In #softwaredesign it is the same thing, you can have the same feature with subtle different uses depend of the page you come from or the parameters you have already given. #UX Designer is like a detective who is able to see invisible cues in order to identify those subtle different use…you have to listen to behavior…you have to see the invisible…you have to touch the untouchable…you want to create interface so perfect that the user forgets it… You have to analyse the tools

Be emotional, Human are emotional, UX must be emotional

Today I just want speak about "Emotion" The Story I arrive on one of my favorite #SocialNetwork @LinkedIn and I was really surprised to have a so #BadUx because of a lack of emotion.. First I arrive on my screen with no more post... Where are the posts The Problem The problem is we make a lot of interface just as Digital Tool. We often forgot the smartphone, this digital tool is like a friend. It is... excuse me, HE is in our house, He is in our bag, He is in our pocket and we have it in our hands more than 180 min a day !! This friend has got a lot of part of our private life... He has got our emails, our meeting, and even our photos and videos. We can read on the web that around 60% of people have got an emotional relationship with their smartphone...and it was the figures two years ago.. It just remembers us, were are not machin we are emotional hight tech natural product.. My point of view   Use Cognitive Bias with your app in ord