Accéder au contenu principal

Idea #5 Users are not Champollion with Egyptians' hieroglyph


Dear all,

today I want to speak with you about hieroglyphs.

I am sure you know Champollion the man who was able to translate the Egyptians' hieroglyph into European alphabet.

And trust me or not he did it without "google translate"

AWESOME  !

Notheless, users and probably you, are not Champollion.

Excuse me for this language : "You don't care about computers' hieroglyphs !"

You don't have the time to translate computers' hieroglyphs, and it is not your job.

The Story

Lots of time I receive mails for subscriptions in order to confirm I am who I said I am when I fill the subscription form...

Ok all ...

They want to be sure it is not a robot behind the keyboard....

So in this case why they talk with me in robot language to confirm I am not one of them....hmmmm...not sure to understand.

Coursea eMail confirmation with "robot language in link"



Wiko eMail confirmation with "robot langage in link"

If you have a look of this two screenshots you will see links ...what I said ...a "mega links"....hmmm "sentence links" to confirm my mail or follow ticket.

Ho no ! I heard someone in the room saying "It is in case the hyperlinks don't work in the mail the user can copy/paste in the url field in his Internet Browser..."

Really ? Stop!

Please "Wake up!" We are in 2016's no more in 1980's at the beginning of internet of TimBL (Sir Thimothy Jhon Berners-Lee)...by the way Thanks Tim ;-)

Today we are in "Mobile era"
- the era in which all is connected,
- the era in which my little soons use Shazam to recognize a song,
- the era in which I flash a QRCode to automatically buy a product, -
- the era in which I show my QRcode when I board the plane, -
- the era in which I make face time or over whatsapp with my familly who is at several thousand kilometres far from me....

and you think again we are in the era where mail box tools are so bad they can't display an hyperlink....no ????!! 

The problem

If you do this something like this problems are triple and for all cases it is really #BadUX

The first :

- User can believe the mail has got creation problems. He doesn't understand the mail and can be afraid and not confident to click on this "sentence link"

The second :

- and it is the topic of this post, user doesn't speak computers' hieroglyphs. User is not computer langage translator. In this case it is really #badUX for user and so for the brand. The mail is not beautiful and it is like saying to user "He Guy ! Do if yourself !"

Last one: 

- really between you and me do you know a lot who make copy on link easily and paste it in URL field on the Internet Browsers. It is "Geek" behavior.
People dont know Http Langage, in the URL field they type "Keyword" for Search Engine...

I have a secret for you, if I give such tool to my wife sure I will have hard time.

Ask users lots of "Geek" manipulations is really #badUX. 

My point of view 

Behind the screen it a a human personne like you and me, so write the mail like you would have pleasure to receive it.

For the subscription, create positive emotion, so good UX with human langage, with for exemple juste a button "Yes I am who I am"...

eMail confirmation with human langage
And why not a rescue process under in case the link doesn't work...

And for the following ticket process, forget the "sentence link" and why not doing something like this...by the way be careful the "variable" don't change with correct value...

Just a button to follow ticket
Excuse me if I mixed french and english in the screenshot, french email are original ones.

So Don’t forget 
Users are not Champollion 
they don't have to translate langage between tools..


Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

User Interface is not a "Where is Charlie ?" game

Psst... what is the performance of your sight... because for some #UI you need to have 12/10 for each eye !! The Story Yesterday I was with my wife on @Google #Gmail tool, a power tool and she asked me to help her to find some old mails... "no problem I thought I'm a Geek !!" I said yes no problem you just have to type the words of your search here... And she said to me ..."ho yes I know that...nonetheless... I want to specify the sender and the date..." Aouch !! After around 15 years using Google Gmail, my wife, a none Geek lady (I am not sure after several years with me she is not infected...) made me discovered a new feature in Gmail !!...the Advanced Gmail Form Search The Problem The problem is simple... First when you begin to type a word, there is a auto-completion  which is a #GoodUI no thing to say... And this auto-complete automatically deploys the list of possible values...which is good again... And you didn&

Be Systemic Analyst be UX Designer

Today I just want speak about "Context"... about "Systemic analysis" The Story When I drive my car I have the same car to do different type of trips. When I am in the city, currently I drive slow (Trust me), when I am in the highway I drive fast (not too fast)…when I am alone I listen to rock&roll, when I am with my family we speak without music…nevertheless it is the same car … The same tool has got the same goal and can have subtle differences during its use. In #softwaredesign it is the same thing, you can have the same feature with subtle different uses depend of the page you come from or the parameters you have already given. #UX Designer is like a detective who is able to see invisible cues in order to identify those subtle different use…you have to listen to behavior…you have to see the invisible…you have to touch the untouchable…you want to create interface so perfect that the user forgets it… You have to analyse the tools

Be emotional, Human are emotional, UX must be emotional

Today I just want speak about "Emotion" The Story I arrive on one of my favorite #SocialNetwork @LinkedIn and I was really surprised to have a so #BadUx because of a lack of emotion.. First I arrive on my screen with no more post... Where are the posts The Problem The problem is we make a lot of interface just as Digital Tool. We often forgot the smartphone, this digital tool is like a friend. It is... excuse me, HE is in our house, He is in our bag, He is in our pocket and we have it in our hands more than 180 min a day !! This friend has got a lot of part of our private life... He has got our emails, our meeting, and even our photos and videos. We can read on the web that around 60% of people have got an emotional relationship with their smartphone...and it was the figures two years ago.. It just remembers us, were are not machin we are emotional hight tech natural product.. My point of view   Use Cognitive Bias with your app in ord